Birthdate: November 25, 1911
Birth Place: Provo, Utah, USA
Death Date: March 24, 1987
Year Inducted: 1985
Awards: D.S.O., D.F.C., O.B.E., Croix de Guerre with Palm Leaf (France), Legion of Honour (France), Order of Orange Nassau (Netherlands)
"The application of his exceptional skills as a pilot in peace and war and as an outstanding leader in military and civil aviation have been of superior benefit to Canadian aviation." - Induction citation, 1985
Paul Yettvart Davoud, O.B.E., D.S.O., D.F.C., was born in Provo, Utah, U.S.A., on November 25, 1911. Upon his father's death, his mother moved the family to her home in Kingston, Ontario. Davoud attended Royal Military College at Kingston from 1928 to 1932. During the summers of 1929 through 1931 he trained at Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) Station Camp Borden, Ontario. At the conclusion of the summer of 1931 he became a Provisional Pilot Officer and was awarded the Sword of Honour as the best all-round cadet.
The RCAF was not offering many permanent commissions in the early 1930's so Davoud went to England and obtained a permanent commission with the Royal Air Force (RAF), where he remained until 1935. In that year he received an offer from James A. Richardson of Winnipeg, Manitoba, to join Canadian Airways Ltd. He returned to Canada and flew for that company from 1935 to 1938. In 1938 he joined the Hudson's Bay Company as a bush pilot and organized and operated an air transport service for the fur trade department throughout the Canadian north until 1940.
Davoud joined the RCAF in 1940 and was posted to Trenton, Ontario, as Assistant Chief Flying Instructor. He proceeded to the United Kingdom in June of 1941 and was assigned the rank of Squadron Leader to form 410 Night Fighter Squadron. One month later, as Wing Commander, he was appointed Commanding Officer of 409 Night Fighter Squadron which operated Bristol Beaufighter and later de Havilland Mosquito aircraft. He destroyed his first enemy aircraft, a Dornier 217, over the North Sea in November of 1941. In February 1943, he crashed due to sudden engine failure while landing a Beaufighter. He was badly burned on his face and hands but was able to return to operations four months later.
In June of 1943 Davoud was the first Canadian to command 418 (City of Edmonton) Squadron, which had just been equipped with de Havilland Mosquitos. When Davoud left the squadron in January 1944, it was becoming the top scoring fighter squadron, night and day, in the RCAE During the time he commanded night fighters he was awarded the Distinguished Service Order (D.S.O.) and the Distinguished Flying Cross (D.F.C.). One citation reads: "a forceful and courageous leader whose personal example and exceptional ability have been reflected in the fine fighting qualities and efficiency of the squadron he commanded."
Davoud's squadron became known for saving countless lives in Britain by shooting down V-l 'buzz-bombs'. They also succeeded in pursuing and altering the direction of many more of these weapons.
In February 1944, Davoud was promoted to Group Captain and given command of 143 Fighter Bomb Wing, comprising three squadrons of Hawker Typhoons. The Typhoon, with its four 20-mm cannon, plus either eight 60 Ib. rockets or two 1,000 Ib. bombs, proved to be the most formidable fighter/bomber in the allied air forces and provided effective close support to the allied armies in Normandy and across northwestern Europe. In April 1944, Davoud gave a demonstration of the Hawker Typhoon to General Dwight Elsenhower, Supreme Commander of the Allied Expeditionary Force, 1943-45, who was so impressed with its enormous firepower that he wrote a letter of appreciation to Davoud.
Just prior to leaving the RCAF, Davoud was made an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (O.B.E. Military). The Dutch government made him a Commander of the Order of Orange Nassau and the French awarded him the Croix de Guerre with Palm Leaf, and the Legion of Honour.
In 1945 Davoud, Gordon McGregor and Earnest Moncrieff, were chosen by C.D. Howe for senior positions with Trans-Canada Airlines because of their distinguished records in the RCAF. Davoud was named assistant to John Tudhope, who was Operations Manager for TCA at Winnipeg. In 1948 he was employed by the Canadian Breweries/Argus Corporation to establish their extensive air service. In 1951 he became General Manager of Field Aviation and its associated company, Kenting Aviation. In 1954 he became Vice-President, Sales and Service at Orenda Engines Ltd., at that time Canada's leading aircraft engine manufacturer. Five years later, the cancellation of the Avro Arrow, which was to use the new Orenda Iroquois engine, put him out of work.
In 1959 the Federal Government selected him to be Chairman of the Air Transport Board for a five year term, 1959 to 1963. Upon completion of his term he joined de Havilland Aircraft as Vice-President of Sales, a position he held for the next seven years. In 1971 Davoud was hired by the government of Ontario as the Director of Aviation Services for the Ministry of Transportation and Communications. He held this position until he retired in 1978. He died at Kingston, Ontario on March 19, 1987.
Paul Yettvart Davoud was inducted as a Member of Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame in 1985 at a ceremony held in Edmonton, Alberta.
Birthdate: November 30, 1931
Birth Place: Blyth, Ontario
Death Date: March 21, 2009
Year Inducted: 2014
Awards: C.M., O.C., The McKee Trophy, The Amelia Earhart Medal (The 99's), The Tissandier Award (Aero Club of Canada)
From an early age, Lorne deBlicquy dedicated her life to aviation as a private pilot, barnstormer, bush pilot and aviation instructor. Flying with wheels, skis and floats, she distinguished herself as an instructor, and her accomplishments contributed to the advancement of equality for women in her chosen field. - Induction citation, 2014
Lorna Vivian deBlicquy was a successful pilot both in the air and in advocating equality for women in aviation. Born in Blyth, Ontario on November 30, 1931 to Vivian Morcombe "Morrie" Bray and Nora Eileen Bray, Lorna was the youngest of their three children, following a sister, Phyllis, and a brother, Harry, who served as a bomber pilot with the RCAF during the Second World War. While attending school, Lorna worked part-time to pay for lessons and began flying a Piper J-3 Cub with the Atlas Aviation Flying School in Ottawa in 1946. She soloed at age 15 and earned a Private Pilot Licence at 16.
In 1952 Lorna earned a Commercial Pilot Licence and began her career working as a navigation clerk at Spartan Air Services. In 1953, she graduated with a Bachelor of Arts degree from Carleton University in Ottawa. That year she married geologist Tony Nichols and the couple lived in a mining camp tent near Thompson, Manitoba, for "two years, three months and fourteen days!" Lorna would say. She flew her own Aeronca Chief on floats, but was eager to use her commercial licence.
She applied for a job with Taylor Airways in Wabowden, Manitoba, flying a Waco biplane on floats to transport native people,supplies and fish, thus becoming among the first women to fly professionally in Manitoba. In 1956, Lorna and Tony moved to Sudbury, where she earned her Class III instructor rating. For five years part-time she taught students to fly with wheels, floats and skis, while teaching high school full-time at Nickel District Collegiate in Sudbury from 1956-58.
In 1962, Lorna's marriage ended and she took up barnstorming with an Aeronca Champ in rural Quebec and flew as a flight instructor at Bradley Air Services in Carp, Ontario. At the Kingston Flying Club she earned a Class II instructor rating and met Dick deBlicquy, a fellow pilot whom she married in 1963. The couple flew in the Canadian Arctic during the summer and in New Zealand during the winters of 1963-65, flying Auster, Tiger Moth and Cessna 185 aircraft on scenic flights and towing gliders. Lorna instructed at the Wellington and Marlborough Aero Clubs. During those years she flew sightseeing tours and earned a multi-engine endorsement and a Private Glider Licence. Returning to Canada, Lorna was an instructor for the Ottawa Flying Club in 1964-65. In 1966 she earned an endorsement to teach instruments and gave birth to her daughter, Elaine. The next year she flew with her baby to Resolute Bay in a Piper Apache, and having obtained a Senior Commercial Licence, was checked out to fly the de Havilland Beaver in the Arctic. Her first operation was to fly a Beaver of Atlas Aviation equipped with tundra tires to retrieve her husband and passengers from a glacier on Ellesmere Island, stranded when an engine failed on their Twin Otter.
For the next few years, Lorna and Dick flew a Twin Otter and she spent a summer flying a Beaver as air support for a Department of National Defence research program on Ellesmere Island. In 1970 she obtained a Commercial Rotary Wing licence in Ottawa in 1970, flying a Bell 47 helicopter. Another summer was spent in the Arctic, and in 1970 she won an Amelia Earhart Award from the women's aviation organization, the Ninety-Nines, and used the scholarship to finance a Class I instructor rating in 1971.
Lorna was awarded the President's Trophy from the Ottawa Flying Club in 1971, and having earned a Class I IFR rating she received an Airline Transport Pilot Licence in 1972. In 1977 she was one of the first women to become a Designated Flight Test Examiner for the Department of Transport. However, she continued to see discrimination against female pilots. Applying for a position, with 6,000 hours in her log book, she was not even called for an interview when two former students were hired. The incident prompted her to speak out against discrimination, writing an editorial for Canadian Flight magazine, being interviewed on radio talk shows, and receiving national media coverage for her views.
Historian and author Shirley Smith Matheson has written of Lorna deBlicquy in her book, Flying the Frontiers, "Her nemesis was the sociopolitical field that surrounded job opportunities for women in aviation. Designed and controlled largely by male government officials - many of whom were ex-military personnel the wording and implications contained in the regulations made it extremely tough for females to win any of the job competitions advertised by the Department of Transport." Lorna made her position known again when in 1976 she applied for work with the Department of Transport in flight training standards and the job went to someone less experienced. Her complaint to the Department resulted in a change of hiring policy and positive results followed. The next year she was hired as the first female civil aviation inspector in Canada, working out of the Toronto office, commuting from home in Ottawa. She was responsible for flight testing instructor candidates as well as doing commercial and multi-engine flight tests.
When Canada endorsed the position of the International Civil Aviation Organization that pregnancy is a disease, Lorna served on a Canadian committee related to pilots' medical standards. As a result, some leniency on the loss of a Category I medical classification during pregnancy was granted to women pilots.
From the late 1960s to 1977, Lorna flew a variety of aircraft including Cessna and Piper types and twin-engined Aero Commander, Aerostar and Beech 18. From 1950 to 1972 she flew in eight Angel Derby races and Powder Puff derbies, as well as the Greater Burlington Centennial Seaplane Race.
Her accomplishments resulted in many awards. In 1992 she received the Award of Excellence of the National Transportation Week. In 1993, Lorna was the first female recipient of the prestigious Trans-Canada (McKee) Trophy from the Canadian Aeronautics and Space Institute, an award established in 1927. In 1994 the Aero Club of Canada awarded the Tissandier Award to Loma for her dedication to aviation activities.
Lorna and Dick were divorced in 1993. After over 50 years of flying, she retired in 1999 and remained active with the Ninety-Nines, continuing to encourage women to pursue careers in aviation. She received honourary life memberships from the Ottawa Flying Club and the Ninety-Nines, and was the first Canadian to be inducted into the International Women in Aviation Pioneers Hall of Fame. Fourteen years before her death on March 21, 2009, in 1995 Lorna Vivian deBlicquy was awarded the Order of Canada.
Lorna flew over 25 types of aircraft. Of 10,478 hours in the air as a pilot, she spent half as an instructor, over 1,500 hours on multi-engine types and over 1,300 hours testing candidates for various licence endorsements.
Lorna deBlicquy was inducted as a Member of Canada’s Aviation Hall of Fame at a Ceremony held in Calgary, Alberta on May 30, 2014.
Birthdate: July 20, 1923
Birth Place: Chapleau, Ontario
Death Date: January 27, 2010
Year Inducted: 2007
"His development of a small commuter airline in Northern Ontario, which led to one of the largest regional airlines in Canada serving both nationally and internationally, has been of great benefit to aviation in Canada." - Induction citation, 2007
Stanley Matthew Deluce was born on July 20, 1923 in Chapleau, Ontario. He enlisted in the RCAF in 1941, trained at Camp Borden and was posted to Eastern Air Command No. 126 Squadron. From 1943-1945 he was assigned to Maritime patrol on the Canadian east coast, flying Hawker Hurricanes escorting ships through the Northumberland Strait to Newfoundland. By war's end he was a full Flight Officer.
After the war, Deluce returned to Chapleau and worked as an engineer with Canadian Pacific Railway. In 1947 he earned a commercial pilot's licence with float endorsement, and bought a Fleet Canuck aircraft in 1948. He could now unite his love of flying with his love for hunting and fishing and make a living at the same time.
A family-run business was born in 1951 with the purchase of a Stinson and the incorporation of White River Air Services. The Deluces now operated a commercial air service from a base at White River, Ontario. Deluce added a Cessna 180 to their operation, and seeing its potential as a bush plane, he opened a Cessna dealership which he ran for 25 years. From its humble beginning with a single aircraft transporting tourists into remote areas, Deluce's company expanded steadily to a fleet of 25 aircraft, including Cessnas, Beavers and Otters, by the late 1960s.
In I960 Deluce purchased both Sault Airways and Kapuskasing Air Services and began the first scheduled air service between Kapuskasing and Timmins. Next, he bought Georgian Bay Airways which was based in Moose Factory and South Porcupine.
From 1961-1975, Deluce operated the first Contract Weather Reporting Station in Ontario at White River for the Federal Government, which was followed by a second station at Chapleau. which he operated from 1962-1975.
In 1971 WRAS was the first company to be awarded the norOntair contract with the Ontario Government to provide scheduled service to Sudbury, Timmins, Sault Ste Marie and Earlton. They used de Havilland Twin Otters, which are well known for their short take-off and landing capabilities, perfect for uniting the smaller communities of Ontario's north. To service their growing fleet they built a maintenance facility at Timmins. At peak times they owned 12 Twin Otters, operating the largest 'Twin' operation in Canada.
Deluce is widely admired for his entrepreneurial spirit. His business acumen was demonstrated in 1974 when WRAS and the Deluce family purchased Austin Airways, Canada's oldest airline, from Jack Austin, who was a friend and a business associate. Deluce became President of the company.
Both airlines were operating mixed fleets of over 40 single and twin engine aircraft, with float, land and amphibious capabilities. In 1975, with the purchase of its first turbine powered, 50-seat capacity Hawker-Siddeley 748, the company moved from a large 'bush' operation to become one of the fastest growing commuter carriers on the continent. The company bought 18 HS 748s, making it the largest fleet of this type in the western hemisphere, a significant contribution to the development of a regional airline concept.
Continuing to expand, in 1976 Deluce purchased Superior Airways in Thunder Bay, Severn Enterprises in northwestern Ontario, followed by Ontario Central Airlines at Pickle Lake, and Hooker Air Services Ltd. in Gimli, Manitoba. A large hangar facility was built at Pickle Lake to support their new operations.
Deluce's new airlines were now doing both charter and scheduled operations all over North America and had leased aircraft to Maersk Airlines in Denmark, supplying both pilots and engineers. In addition, they began to operate as far afield as France, Tunisia and Nepal.
In partnership with Avalon Aviation, they operated water bombers for fire suppression in Canada, Chile and Norway. During this time the Austin operation was extended to serve all Ontario, Northern Quebec, Baffin Island and the Eastern Arctic, with charter flights ranging as far as Greenland.
Deluce's companies made enormous contributions to many northern aboriginal communities. Provision of air services to the Cree along the Quebec coast of James Bay, in some of the most hostile of flying environments, led to a partnership with them in Air Creebec. The company provided training and job opportunities for native youths as pilots, dispatchers and engineers. Deluce served as Vice President of this company for several years. His example and mentorship helped make this company a success.
In 1979, with a contract to serve the Ontario Ministry of Health, Austin Airways developed the first jet aircraft medivac operation in northern Ontario. The Austin service circa was expanded to provide service to Toronto, moving the safe and reliable air transport system from remote areas into high density areas as well. Under Deluce's direction, 36 de Havilland Dash-8 aircraft were added, the largest single commercial order that deHavilland had ever received, stimulating the growth of that company as well.
In 1980, 50% ownership was acquired in both Air Ontario and Air Manitoba. Deluce became Chairman of the Board of Air Ontario.
In 1985 a 25% interest in Air Ontario was sold to Pacific Western Airlines. In 1986, 75% of Austin Airways and Air Ontario was sold to Air Canada. At the same time, Air Canada bought PWA's share of Air Ontario. At the request of Air Canada, Deluce remained as Chairman of the combined company for two more years.
It is important to note that Deluce started White River Air Services with his wife, Angela, and over time all of their nine children worked alongside them in the companies they operated with all seven sons holding Commercial Licences,.
Deluce served as a Director for the Air Transport Association of Canada (ATAC) for two terms and was a member of the Civil Aviation Tribunal from 1986-1989. He was made an Honorary Life Member of the Air Transport Association in 1988, and was named by the Rusty Blakey Heritage Aviation Group as an outstanding Aviation Pioneer in 1993. He lived in London, Ontario where he died on January 27, 2010.
Stanley Matthew Deluce was inducted as a Member of Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame at ceremonies held in Ottawa on June 6, 2007 at a ceremony held in Ottawa, Ontario.
Birthdate: April 9, 1950
Birth Place: Chapleau, Ontario
Year Inducted: 2017
Awards: LL.D., D.Sc.
From the time he earned a pilot’s licence and started with the family business, Robert Deluce has developed regional and chartered carriers and managed development, growth and expansion of their service. Robert’s development of aviation companies culminated with Porter Airlines operating with new facilities at Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport.
Robert John “Bob” Deluce was born in Chapleau, Ontario, April 9, 1950 to parents Stanley and Angela. Bob’s father, Stan, likewise was born in Chapleau and served with the Royal Canadian Air Force during the Second World War, flying in maritime patrol on Canada’s east coast. Returning to his home town after the war, Stan earned a commercial pilot’s licence and bought his first aircraft, a Fleet Canuck in 1948.
In 1952, Bob Deluce moved with his parents and his older brother, Bill, from Chapleau to White River, Ontario, after his parents incorporated White River Air Services Limited. In 1951 they bought a Stinson 108 Station Wagon aircraft and started a bush flying charter service. By 1960 the company operated more than 25 aircraft with bases from Sault Ste. Marie to Moosonee on aircraft equipped with floats or skis, depending on the time of year.
Eventually there were nine children in the family, seven boys and two girls, all involved in the family business. Bob grew up servicing and flying various aircraft including Cessna 180/185s, Beavers, and Otters at the company’s bases. Today he serves as President and CEO of Porter Airlines, based at Billy Bishop Toronto CityAirport.
Bob attended St. Michael’s College School in Toronto, starting in 1964. While in Toronto, he took flying lessons at the Toronto Island Airport (now Billy Bishop Airport) in a Fleet Canuck, the same type as his father’s first aircraft. Bob earned his Private Pilot Licence on his 17th birthday and a year later he qualified for a commercial licence.
While still 17, Bob flew new Cessna aircraft from the factory in Wichita, Kansas, to Toronto and saw them equipped with floats for service in his parents’ company. Fresh out of high school, he also trained as a weather observer to assist two contract stations operated by White River Air Services. In 1971 Bob graduated with a B.Sc. degree from McGill University and worked with his parents and brother Bill to submit a proposal to the Government of Ontario for a carrier to operate Twin Otter aircraft for norOntair from Sudbury. The proposal was accepted and Bob then joined the family business full time.
After starting norOntair, the company built a major maintenance facility in Timmins, Ontario, to compete in twin-engine scheduled and charter services. In 1974, White River Air Services expanded with the purchase of Austin Airways.
At that time, Bob concentrated on aircraft sales as well as maintenance and engineering for the company. This entailed disposing of a dozen seaplane bases and 30 single-engine aircraft over the next few years as replacement twin-engine aircraft such as Twin Otters and Hawker-Siddely HS-748s were acquired during expansion. The family-owned company bought Superior Airways, a 50% interest in Air Ontario, a 50% interest in Air Manitoba, and most assets of Ontario Central Airlines and Hooker Air Services in Ontario.
By the early 1980s, Bob was Vice President and General Manager of Austin Airways, with its fleet of more than 50 aircraft. With continued expansion, by 1986 the Deluce family interests included full ownership of Austin Airways, 50% of Air Manitoba, 50% of Delplax (which owned 52% of Air Ontario) and 49% of Air Creebec. With Air Canada looking for connector airlines, a deal was struck in 1987 for Air Canada to acquire 75% of Austin Airways and Air Ontario, with the remaining 25% remaining with Deluce Holdings Inc.
Those holdings in other airlines were managed by Deluce Investments Inc., having all seven Deluce brothers as shareholders, with Bob as President and CEO of the company. When the Deluce interests in Air Creebec were sold, a 25% interest in Canada 3000 Airlines Limited was acquired and Bob became president of the company until those interests were sold in 1995. At that time the company was operating a dozen or more Boeing 757s and Airbus A320s – a long way from the Stinson purchased by Bob’s father. By then, the only remaining airline asset with the family company was Air Manitoba and Bob became president and CEO of the company in 1996.
By 2000, Bob and others were in discussion with the Toronto Port Authority about the possibility of starting a new airline from the Toronto City Centre Airport (formerly called the Toronto Island Airport). With supporting investors, the new Porter Airlines was announced in February 2006, with start-up set for October that year. An order was placed with Bombardier for up to twenty Q400 aircraft, and Porter was the first scheduled Canadian airline to use the new Q400 type. Service commenced with 10 return flights per day to Ottawa. In rapid growth, by 2016 Porter served 23 regional destinations in eastern Canada and the United States with 26 Canadian-built Q400 turboprop aircraft and 1,400 employees.
Now renamed as Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport, the location serves as the main base for Porter Airlines. To start, Porter bought the airport terminal used by Air Canada and Jazz airlines, and in 2010 opened a new and larger terminal at the airport. Bob’s sons, Michael and Jason, serve on Porter’s management team as Executive Vice President and Chief Commercial Officer, and as Director, Information Technology, respectively, representing third-generation members of the Deluce family involved with aviation. Under Bob’s leadership as President and CEO, Porter Airlines serves 15 Canadian and eight American destinations. Locations served reach from Thunder Bay east to St. John’s and from Vermont to Florida. Six airline partners connect with Porter for overseas service.
Among his many awards, Bob has received the CEO Award of Excellence from the Canadian Public Relations Society in 2010. He has been recognized as Marketer of the Year by the Canadian Marketing Association in 2012, and for Porter Airlines’ excellence by the Ontario Chamber of Commerce. He has served as a director of the Air Transport Association of Canada (ATAC) for three terms and was named as an Honorary Life Member of ATAC in 2013.
Guy Hachey, former President and CEO of Bombardier Aerospace, has stated that, “There is no doubt that aviation is in Bob’s blood. Because he knows our industry so very well, he has a unique talent for finding opportunity where others do not, and his willingness to persevere in the face of daunting challenges is nothing short of remarkable. Who else would start a new airline in the face of intense community objection, against stiff competition from larger well-established airlines and weather the 2008 recession – only to come out on the other side to be named by Condé Nast Traveler readers as the best airline in the world?”
As a pilot, Bob Deluce has personally owned five Cessna types and a Harvard. Since he began flying as a teenager, he has logged some 12,000 hours at the controls of over 38 types of aircraft. Bob has now followed his father, Stan, into Canada`s Aviation Hall of Fame. Married to Catherine since 1975, Bob is the father of the couple’s four adult children: Justine, Jason, Brian and Michael.
Birthdate: January 12, 1899
Birth Place: Portage la Prairie, Manitoba
Death Date: August 3, 1995
Year Inducted: 1974
Awards: OC, OBE, DFC, The McKee Trophy, LL.D.(Hon)
"Despite adversity, he demonstrated to the world the value of the bush plane, and his total contribution to the brilliance of Canada's air age can be measured not only by the regard in which he is held by his peers, but by the nation as a whole." - Induction citation, 1974
Clennell Haggerston (Punch) Dickins, OC, OBE, DFC, LL.D.(Hon), was born in Portage la Prairie, Manitoba on January 12, 1899. His family moved to Edmonton, Alberta, in 1907. He attended the University of Alberta until enlistment in the Canadian Infantry in World War I. In 1917 he transferred to the Royal Flying Corps (RFC), earned his pilot's wings and a commission and was posted to 211 Squadron where he served until 1919. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC) for persistence and gallantry in completing aerial assignments under fire.
At war's end Dickins returned to Canada, joined the Canadian Air Force (CAF) and then became one of the original officers of the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) when it was formed in 1924. He conducted cold weather, high altitude experiments in the Siskin fighter aircraft at Edmonton for two years, proving that cold-weather flying was possible. He flew forest patrol duties and completed special aerial photographic survey flights in Alberta and Saskatchewan. He left the RCAF in 1927.
He joined newly formed Western Canada Airways Ltd. (WCA) in 1927 and began a career which added up an impressive number of aviation firsts. Collectively, these helped unlock the secrets of Canada's north.
In November 1928, Western Canada Airways, formed in December 1926 by James A. Richardson of Winnipeg, won the contract to carry mail on the prairie circuit of Winnipeg, Regina, Calgary, Edmonton, Saskatoon, and back to Winnipeg. Dickins made the first airmail flight in a Fokker Super Universal. It was successful and within a few months, airmail service became a regular feature in these areas.
In August 1928, Western Canada Airways was contracted by Dominion Explorers Limited to fly their President, Charles MacAlpine, on an exploratory flight to visit prospective mining sites across Canada's unmapped Barren Lands of the Northwest Territories. Dickins was selected to fly the group in a new Fokker Super Universal float plane, G-CASK. The expedition's route was from Winnipeg through Fort Churchill, up the west coast of Hudson Bay to Chesterfield Inlet, inland to Baker Lake, southwest to Stony Rapids, and return to Winnipeg, covering some 4,000 miles (6,400 km). Dickins described the many difficulties of navigating over this desolate area. First of all, the only map available to him had the word "unexplored" printed across much of the area. While he expected to pick out large lakes and main rivers, as time went on all he could see were lakes and bare rock with little vegetation. There was no radio communication beyond Fort Churchill, and from there on, they were completely out of radio contact. He flew by the sun most of the way because his compass, affected by magnetic interference, went round in circles in several places and couldn't be trusted. A result of the twelve day trip was that large areas of the region were mapped. Dickins was awarded the Trans-Canada (McKee) Trophy for 1928 because of his outstanding contribution to Canadian aviation made during this trip.
Early in 1929, Dickins flew to Fort Good Hope on the Mackenzie River to explore the possibility of an air mail route to the Arctic Coast and to collect furs on the first aerial shipment to traders in Winnipeg. In July 1929, Dickins became the first pilot to fly the full length of the Mackenzie River, some 2,000 miles (3,200 km) in two days, from Edmonton to Aklavik on the Arctic Ocean. On this trip he became the first pilot to cross the Arctic Circle. In September he flew the first prospectors into Great Bear Lake where pitchblende was discovered.
Dickins felt both the agony of defeat and the thrill of success in dangerous searches for lost companions. In late September 1929, word was received that the MacAlpine party, which had been flown north for some serious prospecting, was overdue and possibly lost. Dickins and engineer W.S. Tall made three searches over an area of the North West Territories for two weeks, without incident, but to no avail. The total search took place over ten weeks and involved nine aircraft, before the party was found at Cambridge Bay and flown out to Winnipeg on December 8, 1929.
Western Canada Airways was taken over by Canadian Airways Ltd. in November 1930. Dickins was named Superintendent of the Mackenzie River district for the new company, which was based in Edmonton. In recognition of his outstanding aerial work in the development and expansion of flying routes in northwestern Canada, Dickins was named an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (O.B.E.) in 1936. That same year he was appointed General Superintendent of Canadian Airways at Winnipeg and completed an historic 10,000 mile (16,000 km) air survey flight of northern Canada.
Canadian Pacific Railways named Dickins assistant to the President in 1941, then appointed him operations manager of the wartime Atlantic Ferry Service which had the responsibility of delivering by air up to 150 aircraft per month across the North Atlantic to the United Kingdom. In 1942 this operationally successful service was then handed over to the RCAF Ferry Command.
Dickins' unequaled grasp of northern Canadian aviation, with its diverse problems, resulted in his appointment in 1942 as Vice-President and General Manager of Canadian Pacific Airlines. His task was to amalgamate several small, scattered airlines into one cohesive, air transportation network serving western Canada. During this same period he was to oversee the management of six of the many British Commonwealth Air Training Plan (BCATP) schools, which trained approximately 130,000 air crew for the Allied air offensive.
In 1947 Dickins joined de Havilland Aircraft at Toronto, Ontario, as a Director and Vice-President. The company had just unveiled a new design called the 'Beaver', an aircraft that would revolutionize bush flying. During the following two decades he developed a world wide sales organization, second to none in the aviation industry, which sold Canadian designed and built aircraft in over 60 countries.
Dickins retired from professional flying in 1966 after 45 years in the business and more than one million miles across the uncharted north, often in weather unforgiving of human error. In 1968 he was appointed an Officer of the Order of Canada (OC) for his over-all services to the nation in introducing the air age to northwestern Canada. His legendary exploits as a Canadian air pioneer were recognized by the University of Western Ontario and the University of Alberta which conferred upon him Honorary Doctor of Laws Degrees.
Dickins played a major role in establishing Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame in 1973. He was elected by his peers to become the first Chairman of the Board of this prestigious organization. Dickins died at the age of 96 in Toronto, on August 3, 1995.
In 2004 NASA's Mars Exploration Rover Project Scientist Dr. John Grotzinger named a rock in Endurance Crater as "Punch Dickins Rock" to commemorate his flying a Geologist into the N.W.T.
Clennell Haggerston (Punch) Dickins was inducted as a Member of Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame in 1974 at a ceremony held in Edmonton, Alberta.
Birthdate: January 31, 1915
Birth Place: Toronto, Ontario
Death Date: February 18, 2007
Year Inducted: 2000
Awards: FCASI, FCSME
"His constant search for perfection in a!! of his aeronautical endeavours and his pioneering leadership in the field of aero-engineering development have been of lasting benefit to Canadian aviation." - Induction citation, 2000
Paul Bernard Dilworth was born on January 31, 1915 in Toronto, Ontario. He attended Appleby College in Oakville, Ontario and later enrolled at the University of Toronto, graduating in mechanical engineering with a Bachelor of Applied Science degree in 1939. After graduation he joined the engine laboratories of the National Research Council (NRC) in Ottawa where he was assigned to work on aero-engine technology.
In 1942 the RCAF was seeking ways of relieving Canada of total dependence on the United States and the United Kingdom for the supply of aircraft and engines. Senior members of the NRC's aerodynamics and engine laboratories visited the United Kingdom to carry out a survey of aeronautical research activities in that country. The resulting report made reference to the pioneering work being carried out by Wing Commander Frank Whittle at Power Jets Ltd., on a new type of gas turbine (jet) engine for aircraft propulsion.
As a result of this report and ensuing meetings and technical exchanges between senior RCAF and Canadian government officials and those of the British Ministry of Aircraft Production, it was decided to conduct further studies on the subject. These studies would determine how Canada might assist in Britain's wartime jet engine development and how Canada might eventually develop and manufacture that type of engine.
Dilworth and his senior colleague, Ken Tupper, who at the time was head of the NRC Hydraulic Laboratories, were assigned to carry out an extensive survey of all jet engine research, development and manufacturing being carried out in the UK, including work by suppliers and the government establishments. They worked under the aegis of the senior representative of the Canadian Department of Munitions and Supply in the UK, Charles A. Banks. The final report by Banks, Tupper and Dilworth laid the foundation for Canada's entry into the design, development and manufacturing of gas turbine engines. From this foundation stemmed the subsequent entry and rapid rise of the development of this technology in Canada, which later became one of the world leaders in the design and development of jet engines.
One of the recommendations of what became known as the Banks Report was that a cold-weather ground test facility be established in Canada, staffed for experimental operations on gas turbines. This was implemented and upon its completion in Winnipeg, Manitoba in late 1943, Dilworth was put in charge of engine testing at the station. The first engine to arrive at the facility was a Rolls-Royce W2B, based on the Whittle design. That engine had been flown to Canada by a USAAF Transport Command aircraft via Dakar and Brazil to Edmonton, Alberta. It arrived at the cold-weather test station in Winnipeg by Canadian National Railway Express just before Christmas 1943. This was the first time that the characteristic whine of a jet engine had been heard in Canada.
Testing continued on that and other engines and the station was eventually transferred to a new Crown Corporation, Turbo Research Ltd., on September 1, 1944. Dilworth became manager of the cold-weather test station until it ceased operations in May 1946. In the meantime, Turbo Research Ltd. had established a new facility at Leaside, Toronto, Ontario. Their mandate was to perform research and development work on gas turbine engines. Design studies on jet engines for military aircraft had commenced in January 1945.
In the early part of 1946 the Canadian government decided to encourage private industry to take over the Turbo Research Ltd. operation, which was then purchased by the newly formed company A.V. Roe Canada (Avro) at Malton, Ontario. Dilworth was appointed Manager and Chief Engineer of the Gas Turbine Division of Avro, which later became Orenda Engines Ltd. A number of engine designs were studied, including both centrifugal and axial flow and the first jet engine to be built by the new division was the axial flow Chinook, rated at 2,600 Ib. thrust, which first ran successfully in March of 1948.
In the summer of 1946, Avro had received a contract to develop an engine of 6,500 Ib. thrust to power the new Avro CF-100 twin-engine fighter aircraft. This was certainly a daunting task for a neophyte organization, but the resulting Orenda engine, which had its first test run in February of 1949, became one of the most powerful engines of its era. It was used in the CF-100 and the Canadair CF-86 Sabre jet fighters, taking the latter to world speed records. Almost 4000 Orenda engines were produced at Malton between 1949 and 1956. These engines saw service in the air forces of Canada, the Netherlands, Belgium, South Africa, West Germany and Pakistan.
Dilworth left A.V. Roe Canada Ltd. in 1952 to establish the engineering consulting firm of Paul Dilworth & Company, which later became Dilworth Secord and Meagher Associates Ltd. This company became a major international design and development company for large-scale supersonic and subsonic aeronautical aviation wind tunnels and for full-scale automotive environmental test facilities. It also engineered the TRIUMF Cyclotron for the University of British Columbia and contributed to the design of several 120-inch astronomical telescopes. As a contractor to Atomic Energy of Canada (AECL), it undertook a number of design projects relating to the on power fueling system of the CANDU nuclear reactor, and engineered a major safety system for the AECL Heavy Water Production Plant at Sydney, Nova Scotia. The firm was also instrumental in bringing the Manipulator Arm project for the NASA Space Shuttle to Canada, and participated in its development as a sub-contractor to the prime contractor, SPAR Aerospace.
Paul Dilworth died February 18, 2007 at Etobicoke, Ontario.
Paul Bernard Dilworth was inducted as a Member of Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame in 2000 at a ceremony held in Wetaskiwin, Alberta.
Birthdate: September 13, 1935
Birth Place: St. John's, Newfoundland
Death Date: October 7, 2006
Year Inducted: 2007
Awards: O.C., Medaille de 1'Aeronautique (France)
"His outstanding leadership and development of CHC Helicopters Corporation into the world's largest helicopter company, providing service to more than 30 countries around the world, has been of major importance to Canadian aviation on the global stage." - Induction citation, 2007
Craig Laurence Dobbin, O.C., D.Sc.(Hon), LL.D.(Hon), LL.D.(Hon), was born on September 13, 1935 at St. John's, Newfoundland. He graduated from St. Bonaventure College in St. John's in 1952. A short-haul trucking venture and underwater salvage operation led to real estate speculation in St. John's in 1963. This grew into Omega Investments Ltd., which moved operations to Ottawa and later established offices in Montreal.
In the early 1970s, Dobbin returned to Newfoundland and bought a small helicopter to transport him and friends to the remote salmon fishing rivers in his home province. He soon realized the potential of helicopters in the offshore oil industry, and established Sealand Helicopters Ltd. in 1977. After winning his first government contract, he acquired a Winnipeg company and nine small helicopters. His immediate goal was to create a helicopter company to service Newfoundland's offshore oil resources, but provincial-federal government discussions delayed this development for several years.
By 1981, Dobbin's companies were involved in real estate, construction, aviation, marine enterprises and investments throughout eastern Canada. These provided the leverage and collateral for many of his subsequent ventures. His vision was to build the world's largest helicopter services company, and it was in the high flying world of helicopters that he made his mark in international business.
In 1987, Dobbin risked everything when he acquired two large Canadian operations: Toronto Helicopters and the international operations of Okanagan Helicopters. Merging them with Sealand, he launched a public company, CHC Helicopters Corporation. He now had access to business in the Pacific Rim.
Dobbin next set his sights on Europe, and entered the North Sea market with the acquisition of British International Helicopters in 1994. Shortly thereafter, adversity struck when a large contract with Shell was lost. But he didn't look back, or stop, even when he had to undergo a life-saving lung transplant in 1997. He returned to "work with greater vigor and determination.
In 1999 the company got even bigger. With Dobbin as CEO and Chairman, CHC made a successful bid for Helicopter Services Group of Norway, which tripled the size of the company. Consequently, CHC became the leading helicopter service provider in the North Sea, the world's largest offshore market. CHC also became a world leader in Search and Rescue, helicopter training and Repair and Overhaul. In Stavanger, Norway, CHC operated the world's only facility for the repair and overhaul of Super Pumas - the No. 1 aircraft for the offshore industry.
The company continued to expand, with the majority of CHC's revenue coming from providing helicopter support to offshore platforms operated by the world's major oil and gas companies. CHC's international bases of operation include: Australia, Brazil, Thailand, the Philippines, the Middle East, South Africa, Ecuador, Angola, Gabon, Equatorial Guinea, Eastern Canada and the UK, Ireland, Denmark, the Netherlands and many others.
In 2000 CHC integrated its operations around the world, becoming the first helicopter services company to market its global operations under one recognizable name. Dobbin launched CHC on the New York Stock Exchange, with its first call to trading on October 11, 2002.
In 2005 CHC purchased Schreiner Aviation Group, the leading offshore helicopter services company in the Dutch sector of the North Sea, and a key player in West Africa,
By late 2003, several of the world's major multi-national oil companies were demanding one standard of safety and service for all operations around the world. In response to this, CHC began a major restructuring initiative in 2004. The result was the creation of three main operating segments: CHC Global Operations, based in Vancouver; CHC European Operations, based in Aberdeen, Scotland; and Hell-One, CHC's leasing and Repair and Overhaul support group, also based in Vancouver. It was a heart-wrenching decision for Dobbin to move the company's head office from St. John's to Vancouver, but the decision was made in the best interests of the company.
He founded Sealand Helicopters with a single, used Hughes 500D helicopter in 1977. Through well-timed acquisitions, strategic decisions and the support of many dedicated, loyal employees, he built CHC into the largest helicopter services company in the world, with a billion dollars in market capital.
Dobbin was a determined and forceful man who was loyal and caring, a visionary and risk-taker. He lived life to the fullest; he was an avid salmon fisherman, friend of two American presidents, confidant of legislators and patron of the arts. He was Chairman of the Ireland Canada University Foundation, located in Dublin, and Honorary Consul of Ireland for Newfoundland and Labrador. He served on Boards of Directors of many corporations, as well as Honorary Chairman and Patron of several organizations and foundations.
He was awarded several honorary Doctorate degrees: by Saint Mary's University of Halifax, a doctor of Science in 1990; by the National University of Ireland, a Doctor of Laws in 1995; and by Memorial University of Newfoundland, a Doctor of Laws in 2000.
He received many honours, including the Medaille de 1'Aeronautique from the Government of France in 1990. Because of his generosity to many causes, he was appointed Outstanding Individual Philanthropist of the Year 1996 by the Canadian Society of Fund-raising Executives. In October 2000 he was named the Atlantic Canada Entrepreneur of the Year, and in 2001 was inducted into the Newfoundland and Labrador Business Hall of Fame. But he considered his appointment as an Officer of the Order of Canada in 1992 to be his greatest honour.
Dobbin was a proud Newfoundlander, and an equally proud Canadian, who kept his company in Canada. He delivered his final speech to CHC shareholders on September 28th in Vancouver. At that time he learned he would be inducted into Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame in 2007. He died on October 7, 2006 in St. John's, one day after he had taken a leave of absence from his duties at CHC and appointed his son, Mark, as the Chairman of the company. He will be remembered for his gregarious personality, his generous spirit and his deep love for his family.
Craig Laurence Dobbin was inducted as a Member of Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame at ceremonies held in Ottawa on June 6, 2007 at a ceremony held in Ottawa, Ontario.
Birthdate: November 19, 1921
Birth Place: Stratford, Ontario
Death Date: October 30, 1986
Year Inducted: 1994
Awards: Scroll of Merit (IFALPA and CALPA), Founders Flight Safety Award (CALPA), Award of Excellence (Air Canada)
"His sincerity, dedication and persistence to the cause of improving the medical licensing problems in the airline industry have been.of major benefit to Canadian aviation." - Induction citation, 1994
Robert Leslie (Bob) Dodds was born in Stratford, Ontario, on November 19, 1921, and was educated there and at the University of Toronto. He held a Commercial Pilot's Licence prior to World War II, and flew for Dominion Skyways Air Observer School at Malton Airport during much of the war. He joined the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) in 1944, and in order to get an opportunity to see action at that late date, he transferred to the Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm (RNFAA). He retired at the end of the war with the rank of Sub-Lieutenant. In 1946 he joined Trans-Canada Airlines and flew his entire career out of their Toronto base.
He became Chairman of the Canadian Air Line Pilot's Association Aeromedical Committee in 1966. At that time the industry's attitude toward medical re-certification was very restrictive. A pilot had to meet all of the medical standards or he would be grounded; no debate or appeal was allowed. Throughout his career, Dodds had always been dedicated to aviation safety but he found that the medical requirements were grossly over-restrictive. He felt that flexibility could be granted in many instances without risk, and licencing authorities should not maintain standards that were outdated, but seek to broaden them as prudently as experience and new knowledge allowed.
Dodds became dedicated to improving the medical licencing situation and from 1966 until he retired in 1981, spent most of his time working toward change. It was a long uphill struggle as the official attitude was well entrenched. However, with a quiet persistence, he began to change the official thinking. He found precedents from the practices in other countries, and learned that where preventive medicine, rather than mere examination for fitness, was employed, fewer pilots were grounded. He attended many medical meetings, sought support for his views from the medical profession and enlisted help from a number of distinguished physicians whose views were the same as his. The eventual success of the crusade was due, to a considerable extent, to the active assistance that he was able to obtain from medical experts.
Dodds wrote many papers and presented them to medical meetings, the Minister of Transport, airline management, the International Federation of Air Line Pilots Association (IFALPA), and the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO). He frequently went to Ottawa to confer with senior personnel in Transport Canada and the Department of Health and Welfare. He was made the Chairman of the IFALPA Medical Study Group in 1973, and became influential internationally, as well as in Canada. For a number of years he was away from home several days per month, usually on his own time, attending meetings or representing pilots. He was always well prepared.
Dodds' sincerity, dedication and persistence began to show results. An Aeromedical Review Board was established in Canada, and some pilots who had been medically grounded were re-certified following reviews. This was the case most often when the individuals had the support of their airline. A degree of flexibility was introduced to the regulations. Major airlines such as Air Canada began to apply preventive medicine principles. On Dodds' recommendation, incapacitation training which enabled crews to recognize, and to act, when one of their members became subtly incapacitated, was begun using simulators.
Largely on his recommendation, CALPA organized Pilot Assistance Committees at all pilot bases to assist pilots who were having job-threatening problems. These committees developed procedures and skills useful in assisting pilots who were suffering from drug or alcohol abuse. Dodds consistently emphasized the costs to the airlines and the industry of unnecessary groundings, since by the time a pilot becomes a senior captain, his airline has invested heavily in his training and competency.
Dodds was a recognized world authority on pilot medical problems. Both IFALPA and CALPA presented him with their respective Scrolls of Merit for his outstanding contributions to flight safety, and in 1981 he was awarded CALPA's prestigious Founder's Flight Safety Award. He was among the first group of Air Canada employees to be presented with the Award of Excellence.
In 1981, when he retired as chairman of the Aeromedical Committee, the committee had expanded to include representatives from every pilot base across the country. The major beneficiaries of Dodds' life's work were the pilots whose careers were threatened by minor medical disability, and the airlines which were spared the expense of terminating pilots unnecessarily.
Dodds was one of the first pilots to be re-certified after learning he had cancer in 1980. He was reinstated and was able to return to the line on the L-1011 for two months prior to his normal retirement from Air Canada in 1981. He died in Toronto in October of 1986.
Robert Leslie Dodds was inducted as a Member of Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame in 1994 at a ceremony held in Edmonton, Alberta.
Birthdate: July 16, 1918
Birth Place: Braughing, Hertfordshire, England
Death Date: January 11, 2015
Year Inducted: 2000
Awards: Freedom Fighters Medal (Denmark), Award of Merit (England), Pioneer in Aviation Award, The Molly Reilly Memorial Trophy
"Her extraordinary enthusiasm for and life-long dedication to aviation, in wartime and peace, particularly her dedication to flight instruction have been of great benefit to Canada." - Induction citation, 2000
Vera Elsie StrodI Dowling was born July 16, 1918 in Braughing, Hertfordshire, England. She received her first airplane ride at the age of twelve on the Isle of Wight. This experience, in an Avro 504K, made her determined to become a pilot. She took her first dual instruction on Gipsy Moth G-AAAV at the Sussex Aero Club in Wilmington, Sussex. While working in a cafe kitchen she had to save two weeks wages and tips to pay for a 20 minute flying lesson.
In January of 1937, StrodI Dowling qualified for Pilot's 'A' Licence #11442. She applied for employment at Phillips and Powis Aircraft Ltd./Miles Aircraft and learned about wood and fabric construction of aircraft. The following year she trained and qualified as an Aircraft Inspector, #PP79, inspecting aircraft as they came off the assembly line.
In 1938 she trained for and received her Glider Pilot's 'A' and 'B' certificates, gaining both on the same flight, at the Oxford University and City Gliding Club. At this time she joined the Civil Air Guard as a pilot, continuing in this role until the outbreak of World War II.
In 1939 she went to work as an aircraft inspector for H.H. Martyn of Gloster Aircraft Ltd. inspecting the manufacture of parts for the Gladiator fighter. It was here that she learned about rivet construction on aircraft. At the outbreak of WW II she worked for Taylorcraft Aeroplane England Ltd. as a test pilot of a prototype which later became the famous observer aircraft, the Auster.
In 1941 Strodl Dowling joined the Air Transport Auxiliary, #W60, as a Ferry Pilot, under the auspices of BOAC. She ferried numerous types of fighters, bombers and training aircraft from factories to maintenance units in the British Isles to front line bases and returned damaged aircraft to repair depots and to scrap. Pilots in this ferry group flew without radio and navigation aids, often through difficult weather conditions and having to avoid the cables of barrage balloons. During the war she did broadcasts on BBC radio and dropped morale-building leaflets over Denmark. For this secret work she received the Freedom Fighters Medal from Denmark after the war.
In 1946 Strodl Dowling traveled to the United States on a visa and qualified for an American Commercial Pilots Licence. As well, she trained on the Grumman Widgeon and the Republic Seabee to obtain an amphibian and float endorsement. When she returned to England, she ferried the first civilian Auster aircraft to Sweden and spent two years working as Charter and Commercial Pilot for Ostermans Aero, Stockholm, on flying boats and float and ski equipped aircraft.
Strodl Dowling qualified as Flying Instructor #1739 in 1947 and joined the Women's Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve (WRAFVR #2654771) as pilot, and served for four years learning aerobatics, formation flying, instrument and night flying. In 1952 she was one of the first twelve women to hold an Officer's Commission in the WRAFVR.
She was appointed Chief Flying Instructor at Sandown, Isle of Wight in 1949. In 1950 she was appointed Royal Aero Club Official Observer #274 and was qualified to conduct Pilot Licence Examinations.
In 1952 she graduated through the WRAFVR from University of the Air, Air Service Training, Hamble, Southampton with an Instrument Rating. The same year, she immigrated to Canada and was appointed Flying Instructor at the Lethbridge Flying Club in Alberta, which included the RCAF Chipmunk Program, a refresher training program for RCAF reserve pilots. She was also appointed Royal Aero Club Official Observer for Canada which qualified her to conduct commercial and private examinations for pilots wishing to hold valid British Pilots Licences.
Strodl Dowling was the first female flight instructor in Alberta. In 1954 she operated a satellite training school at Pincher Creek, Alberta, managed by the Lethbridge Flying Club. She remained with that club for five years.
The Edmonton Flying Club's manager, Maury Fallow, hired her in 1957 as Flight Instructor for duties in flight, ground and Link simulator training. An added responsibility was the Edmonton Flying Club's satellite training school at Westlock, Alberta. In 1963 she married Stanford Dowling of Edmonton.
In 1971 she began work at the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology (NAIT) as a Ministry of Transport Ground School Instructor in Private Pilot, Commercial and Instrument courses. These were mainly evening courses, and she continued to instruct part time at the Edmonton Flying Club.
Strodl Dowling was honoured in 1971 when she received the Award of Merit from the Guild of Air Pilots and Air Navigators of the British Empire, London, England for outstanding service in the field of aviation. At the time, it was the ninth such medal in the world and the first in Canada. That same year she received a citation from the Canadian Ministry of Transport for her "contribution to Civil Aviation in the Western Region and particularly in Pilot Training." In 1972 she was presented with an award from the Alberta Government recognizing her outstanding achievement in the field of aviation.
In 1975 she was recalled and recommissioned by the Canadian Forces (WRAFVR) to design and teach Air Cadets Pilot's Ground School Academic Courses at CFB Penhold in Alberta. The same year, the Ministry of Transport appointed her a Designated Flight Test Examiner. Strodl Dowling retired from instructing in 1987 with her logbooks totaling over 30,000 hours, but she continued to hold a valid Commercial Pilot's licence in 2000.
She has been honoured many times for her contributions to aviation. In 1982 the International Northwest Aviation Council presented her with its Amelia Earhart Medal. The Western Canada Aviation Museum in Winnipeg, Manitoba presented her the Pioneer in Aviation Award in 1987, and in 1993 the Alberta Aviation Council named her recipient of the Molly Reilly Memorial Trophy.
Her life has been dedicated to serving Jesus Christ and she has shown her concern for her fellow man in many humanitarian ways. She has journeyed to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia to minister to leprosy patients and to northern Canada to spread the gospel to First Nations peoples. Vera Strodl Dowling passed away in St. Albert, Alberta on January 11, 2015.
Vera Elsie Strodl Dowling was inducted as a Member of Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame in 2000 at a ceremony held at Wetaskiwin, Alberta.
“Pursuit of a Dream - the Story of Pilot Vera (Strodl) Dowling” - Warren Hathaway (2012)
“No Place for a Lady - The story of Canadian Women Pilots” - Shirley Render (1992)
Birthdate: January 1, 1908
Birth Place: Sydney Mines, Nova Scotia
Death Date: October 19, 2003
Year Inducted: 2002
Awards: C.B.E., C.D.**, D.C.L.(Hon), D.Eng.(Hon), Croix de Guerre with Gold Star (France), Silver Star (USA)
"His distinguished career as a military aviator in war and in peace time, demonstrating extraordinary skill and leadership in a lifetime of achievement, have earned the respect of his peers and brought great credit to his nation." - Induction citation, 2002
Clarence Rupert Dunlap, C.B.E., C.D.**, B.Sc., D.C.L. (Hon), D.Eng. (Hon), was born on January 1, 1908 in Sydney Mines on Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia. In 1919 at the age of 11, Dunlap met Alexander Graham Bell, who led the Aerial Experiment Association and had a home at Baddeck overlooking Bras d'Or Lake on Cape Breton Island. This fortuitous event inspired him to strive for a career in aviation.
In 1928 Dunlap earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from the Nova Scotia Technical College (now part of Dalhousie University) and Acadia University. He briefly worked as an electrical engineer for Canadian Westinghouse before deciding on a career in the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF). Dunlap completed his pilot training on Avro 504N biplanes at Camp Borden, Ontario and received his wings in 1929. After a short seaplane conversion course at Jericho Beach, Vancouver he was posted to Rockcliffe, Ontario for transportation and ferry duties.
Dunlap was promoted to Flying Officer in July 1929, and posted to No. 8 Photographic Detachment in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia as a photo survey pilot. Thus began an extensive period of aerial surveying during which he completed several photo survey assignments from Nova Scotia to British Columbia. In April 1930, he was assigned to No. 11 Photographic Detachment in Ontario and Quebec, and in June, to No. 1 Photographic Detachment in British Columbia. As a result of his survey work, an island off the west coast of Vancouver Island, just north of Tofino, now bears his name. Dunlap returned to Rockcliffe as an instructor on two photographic survey courses in 1931 and 1933.
In 1934 Dunlap was reassigned to the Air Armament and Bombing School at Camp Borden. He was promoted to Flight Lieutenant in 1935 and sent to Royal Air Force Air Armament School in Eastchurch, England, in 1936 he returned to Camp Borden as Chief Instructor of the Air Armament School.
When the Second World War began in 1939, Squadron Leader Dunlap was serving as the Director of Air Armament at RCAF Headquarters in Ottawa, a post he filled until the spring of 1942. At this time he took command of the Bombing and Gunnery School at Mountain View, Ontario. Later that year, he was posted overseas to No. 6 Group RCAF to take command of the bomber base at Leeming, Yorkshire.
Dunlap was posted to Kairouan, Tunisia in May 1943, to command No. 331 Night Bomber Wing, RCAF, which included Nos. 420, 424 and 425 Squadrons and a total of sixty Wellington aircraft. From that base, he directed Wing operations over Sicily and Italy in support of Allied invasions. For his achievements during that campaign, Group Captain Dunlap was named a Commander of the Order of the British Empire (C.B.E.). He also earned commendations from Air Marshal Tedder, RAF, and General Doolittle, USAC, the senior commanders of the Air Forces in the Mediterranean and Italian theatres.
In November 1943, he was posted back to the UK to command No. 139 Wing of the Royal Air Force (RAF) at Dunsfold, Surrey and, following the Allied invasion of France on June 6, 1944 (D-Day), at Brussels, Belgium. No. 139 Wing comprised Nos. 98 and 180 Squadrons of the RAF, and was equipped with B-25 Mitchell aircraft. Daylight sorties were flown over the low countries and France against industrial targets, transportation systems, airfields, harbours and German V-l and V-2 rocket sites in Belgium. No. 320 Squadron of the Royal Dutch Naval Airforce was added later. By the end of the war, Dunlap had completed 35 operational sorties, earning the French Croix de Guerre with Gold Star and the United States Silver Star for his role in the Allied victories.
Prior to V-E Day on May 8, 1945, Dunlap was promoted to Air Commodore, and returned to No. 6 Group RCAF to command 4 squadrons of Canadian-built Lancaster bombers at Middleton St. George and Croft, Yorkshire. In May 1945, he returned to Canada to become Deputy Air Member of the Air Staff.
Dunlap's distinguished career continued after the war. In 1946 he represented the RCAF at the Bikini Atoll atomic bomb tests. In 1947 he was appointed Deputy Air Member for Air Plans at RCAF Headquarters in Ottawa, followed by attendance at the National War College in Washington, DC.
On promotion to Air Vice Marshal in 1948 he became Air Member for Air Plans at RCAF Headquarters in Ottawa. In 1949 he was assigned to the position of Air Officer Commanding North West Air Command, Edmonton. In 1951 he was posted to command Air Defence Command at St. Hubert, Quebec. Shortly after, Dunlap became Commandant of the National Defence College at Kingston, Ontario.
These appointments were followed by an assignment as Vice Chief of Air Staff in 1954. Dunlap played an important role in the buildup of RCAF personnel during this period, in response to North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) developments in Europe.
In 1958 Dunlap was promoted to Air Marshal on assignment to the position of Deputy Chief of Air Staff (Operations) at Supreme Headquarters Allied Powers Europe (SHAPE) in Paris, France. As senior staff officer, he was responsible for the training, testing and operational evaluation of the Air Forces assigned to NATO. In September 1962 he returned to Ottawa to become Chief of the Air Staff of the RCAF.
In 1964 he was appointed to the position of Deputy Commander in Chief of the North American Air Defence Command (NORAD) at Colorado Springs, Colorado. NORAD is a joint US/CANADA command responsible to the governments of the US and Canada for the security of North America from missile or other air threats. The Deputy CINC position in NORAD is filled by Canada. The DCINC assumes command and responsibility for the effectiveness and employment of all NORAD forces in the absence or incapacitation of the Commander in Chief (CINC). Dunlap officially retired from that position and the Canadian Armed Forces in July 1968.
Dunlap has received many honours and awards in recognition of his contributions. Among them, in 1964 he received the Certificate of Honorary Membership in No. 98 Squadron Association (RAF), and in 1987 he was made Honorary Life Member of the 2nd Tactical Air Force Medium Bomber Association. He was presented with two Honorary Doctorates, the Doctor of Civil Laws degree from Acadia University, and the Doctor of Engineering degree from Nova Scotia Tech (Dalhousie University).
Returning to Ottawa after retirement, he volunteered for eleven years with the Ministry of Science and Technology to coordinate the establishment of the National Aviation Museum, now the Canada Aviation Museum, in Ottawa, taking on the enormous task of raising funds for this Museum. Other activities included membership on the United States/Canada Permanent Joint Board on Defence and a 5-year appointment to the Board of Acadia University for which he received the Distinguished Service Award in 1995. He died in Victoria, B.C. on October 20, 2003.
Air Marshal Clarence R. Dunlap was inducted as a Member of Canada’s Aviation Hall of Fame in 2002 at a ceremony held in Vancouver, B.C.
Birthdate: November 23, 1904
Birth Place: Barrie, Ontario
Death Date: April 5, 2000
Year Inducted: 1988
Awards: C.M., LL.D. (Hon), FRAS, FCASI, FSAE, FCAE
"His fifty years of dedicated service applied with superior knowledge and determination for the advancement of commercial aviation in the land of his birth and around the world have substantially benefitted Canadian aviation." - Induction citation, 1988
John Talbot Dyment, C.M., B.A.Sc., LL.D. (Hon), was born in Barrie, Ontario, on November 23, 1904. He moved to Toronto in 1912 and was educated there. His deep interest in aviation began at the age of nine while watching a Wright biplane fly near Daytona, Florida. He attended the University of Toronto, graduating with a degree in mechanical engineering in 1929. During his university years he learned to fly at the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) Station at Camp Borden, Ontario, during the summer. He was awarded the Sword of Honour as top cadet at the time he received his wings. He was also very active in the field of sports, winning 36 medals in various athletics, including track, wrestling, shooting, and Canadian championships in fencing. In 1927 he performed the first delayed parachute jump in Canada, free-falling 1,000 feet (305m) before opening the parachute.
Following graduation from university he learned his trade by working for the Aviation Division of the Ford Motor Company in the United States, as well as the Aeronautical Engineering Division of both the Department of National Defence and the newly formed Department of Transport. It was during this period he gained invaluable knowledge and experience in the fields of stress analysis, aerodynamics, propulsion and air worthiness approval. He also assisted Bob Noorduyn on the original performance calculations for the Norseman aircraft.
In 1938 he was appointed Chief Engineer of Trans-Canada Airlines, a position he held for 30 years. During this time the airline grew to become the sixth largest in the world and saw great advances in the technology used to operate aircraft.
Dyment's team of engineers at TCA faced many challenges in adapting airplanes designed in warmer climates to fly effectively in the colder weather zones in Canada. A few of the problems they dealt with were: preventing ice build-up on leading surfaces, protecting propeller blades against icing, redesigning carburetor intake systems to prevent or reduce icing, and preventing condensation of moisture which affected electrical controls. Additional projects included the development of lubricants which would not congeal, and flexible hoses which would not harden and crack in extreme cold.
Dyment's knowledge and practical application of aeronautical technology has been recognized world wide. He has been chairman of a number of prestigious international symposiums. Three of international conference on turbine powered air transports; 1953, Chairman of the International Air Transport Association's first international symposium on helicopters; and in 1961, Chairman of the first international meeting on supersonic air transports.
Up to the time of his retirement from Air Canada in 1968 he had been invited to present some 70 scholarly papers in Canada, the United States, England and Europe. These dealt with such topics as air transport design and operations, airline organization, and engineering education. He is the only non-American to be appointed as a consultant by the government of the U.S.A. to recommend civil aviation research and development programs for that country. In 1964 he was elected President of the U.S. Society of Automotive Engineers, the only non-American so elected.
In 1973 Dyment received an Honorary Doctor of Laws Degree at the Centenary Convocation of the University of Toronto, and in 1981 he was inducted into the University of Toronto's Engineering Hall of Distinction. He was a Fellow of several organizations and societies, including: the Royal Aeronautical Society, the Canadian Aeronautics and Space Institute, the Society of Automotive Engineers, and the Canadian Academy of Engineering. He was a life member of the Engineering Institute of Canada, the Order of Engineers of Quebec and a number of alumni associations. He is also an Honorary Member of the Canadian Air Line Pilots Association. In 1991 Dyment was named a Member of the Order of Canada (C.M.) for his service to Canadian aviation. He died in his 96th year at Vancouver, B.C. on April 5, 2000.
John Talbot (Jack) Dyment was inducted as a Member of Canada's Aviation Hall of Fame in 1988 at a ceremony held at Edmonton, Alberta.
Recommended reading: “The Canadair North Star” - Larry Millberry, 1982